Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bug Bites and Battle Scars


“Boys, it’s OK if you get the clap; at least it means you’re gettin’ some.” This tarnished pearl of wisdom seemed ridiculous when Shawny’s dad imparted it on us back in high school, but, now that I’m older, I can see that perhaps it holds a bit of truth.

The memory of this conversation is recalled as I sit at my desk with throbbing, blistered feet and a body pocked with mosquito bites resembling the waiting room at the Zit’n’Pimple acne clinic. These are a few manifested memories of this past weekend’s 24-mile backpacking adventure. Normally we think of pain and discomfort as negative things, but for those of us who sit at desks week in and week out, they can be pleasant reminders of weekend adventures. How many of you have a favorite scar? I know I do.

The balance between safety and adventure can be tricky. Society sends us mixed messages. We’re perpetually being told that the world is a dangerous place and that we need to seek refuge. Terror alerts, home alarm systems, protective padding for virtually every sport, tazers and mace are all things that we are urged to place between us and the hostile world. Yet at the same time, we are sold products such as pre-washed/pre-torn jeans, aviator jackets, tan-in-a-can, camouflaged gear, and a plethora of other products to give us the appearance that we live rugged outdoor lifestyles.

The whole thing can be darned confusing. Shawny’s dad is no longer with us, though it would be nice to call him for the occasional “should I stay or should I go” council. These days I look to what I call “my deathbed self.” I go into the future and ask the happy, shriveled figure what I should do. Ultimately, he’s the one I have to answer to anyway. On many occasions he says “stay,” but once in a while I hear, “what the hell, go for it, that’s what shots are for.”

This isn’t an article condoning unprotected sex or taking stupid risks. I don’t even know if the Clap still exists. I just know that I’ve heard more than one person this past fortnight lament that summer is almost over and they haven’t taken the time to have any fun. The truth is, we haven’t even reached our half-way point. Padding or not, get out there and enjoy.

No comments: